At least seven fire tenders were pressed into service to control the blaze. Many patients were rescued by breaking window panes.
At least 17 patients died and around 12 others injured in a fire that broke out at the Sum Hospital in Bhubaneswar on Monday evening, in one of the worst such incidents involving a medical facility. The blaze was suspected to have been triggered by an electric short circuit in the dialysis ward on the first floor of the private hospital which spread to the nearby Intensive Care Unit.
“So far we have received some ‘brought dead’ people at the Capital Hospital. However, I cannot exactly say the number of persons who have died in the incident,” Health Secretary Arati Ahuja said.
However, the Capital Hospital Superintendent Binod Kumar Mishra said, “We have received nine dead bodies, while five others are in very critical condition. The toll may increase.”